Thursday, October 05, 2006

Japanese Rice Crackers





These two paintings perhaps mark a return to my "Scatter" style still lifes, most of which you can see on my website. They were fun to do and if/when the sun comes out I'll replace these images with a truer version.
4x6 oils

I had a bitch of a time trying to photograph these inside...It's going to rain the next few days here in the northeast.These images are close, but still a bit off... the nice subtle tonality in the backgrounds has been lost.I have this digital camera with all kinds of functions, but trying to figure them out realy makes my brain ache. I took classes when I got the thing, but that was three years ago...a year before I decided to pursue painting on a professional level. Perhaps I'll ask for a scanner for Christmas!.. Anyway I'm sure you don't want to hear of my minor troubles....but still it feels good writing about them and letting you know all is not perfect in Chuck Land

2 comments:

Schuivert said...

I have a rather cheap A3 scanner but don't use it because the colours are way off, I cant get them to look better in my photoediting program. So I keep shooting at least 20 to 30 pictures per painting in the hope of hitting right.
Do you have better experiences with scanners?

Chuck Law said...

Actually ,Bart I have no experience with scanners! But I figured a scanner might be easier then two spotlights and all the shades taken off the lamps and still getting really poor results. I learned through Wet Canvas, that taking the pictures outside in indirect sunlight was the best way to photo your artwork...and so far that's worked really well except now the sunny season is ending. I'm taking a workshop at our local college in November on "How to Photograph Artwork" ...hopefully I'll learn more.
Thanks for asking
...chuck