Friday, October 13, 2006

The Gift


Thursday was a very long day. I worked all day in the flowershop then had to go out for the evening. When I came home around 9:30 that night there was a gift left for me at the foot of my chair where I paint. I have two cats and a basement full of holes! I was so tired, but knew I had to paint this at the moment 'cause I really didn't want to have to save the poor thing. Into the yellow dish he went. I don't like painting late at night because it really revs me up and makes it difficult to sleep. Glad I did it tho. Now I have Two small animal paintings. Not sure why I like to paint in twos so often, but it just feels right.
4x6 canvas

Here's some pics of the other creative endeavor. We had to do 80 of these hundred dollar centerpieces...they were placed on top of tall pedestals ...a lot of work. I disdainfully call them "round mounds"...big blobs of color...not really that creative when you get right down to it. At least not to a tired and jaded old designer like myself. I hope I never feel that way about my painting. I don't think I will. Flowers have certain limitations that makes floral design incomparable to the art of painting pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very good painting if you ask me Chuck! The colour of the mouse, the contrasts, very convincing!

And what a flowers! Wow!!

Chuck Law said...

Thankyou Bart
This will probably become part of the "artists" collection along with the sparrow.
The flowers don't look so very bad now that I'm no longer tired. For a day job, doing floral design is pretty cool...not like being stuck in an office, and I think it does compliment my painting efforts...except when it takes over all my time and energy....or aggravates my chronic back probelm. oops I'm rambling.

Alisha K. Ard said...

I really like this painting and the one of the sparrow. It may sound morbid, but having the opportunity to paint these little creatures in this state lets you see so much more detail and texture than you would normally be able to observe from them in life. You captured those colors and textures beautifully!