Friday, September 15, 2006

A Tree Full of Buzzards


OK I did promise this to be the next post...even though I was able to photo some new work today.

Wednesday I drove up to the Riverfront Renaissance Art Center in Millville to drop off a couple of paintings for their juried show on the theme of food. To get there is a 40 minute drive through the countryside of South Jersey. On the way I spotted this tree full of Buzzards and luckily I had the camera with me. I just love Buzzards for some reason, this picture just cracks me up.

As an added bonus I'm including a charcoal drawing I did around the age of 9 or 10. Unbeknownst to me a famliy relative had it for years and it came back to me when She passed away. Each year now I hang it for the month of October over the fireplace...a perfect Halloween drawing. Typical of the imagination of a ten year old boy...it's hard to see but I signed it in a "scary" squiggly scrawl :0. A fun and nostalgic piece. Perhaps a bit 'heavy' for the rest of the year though!

4 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, Chuck, hard to believe you like buzzards. Nice drawing!

Here is a photo our daughter took in our front yard in January.
http://www.joanna.org/archive/Jan2006.html

Pretty nifty. Not sure I would say I like the buzzards, though it is fun to watch them ride the currents.
Jo

Chuck Law said...

That's a great picture by your daughter Jo...Interesting fact someone told me Friday that your daughter might be interested to know...a group of Buzzards is called a "Wake!"
I guess I shoulda titled this post 'A Wake of Buzzards' instead.

Anonymous said...

As soon as you said 9 or 10 years old I started searching my memory for this one. This is great! I'll find what photos I have of the Turkey Buzzards along the Blue Ridge Pkwy and send them to you. Excellent site you have here Chuck.

Chuck Law said...

Hi Randy
I think my mother must have whisked this one away right after I did it 'cause I had no memory ( still kindof fuzzy ) of doing it until it came back to me about ten years ago.
Thanks for stopping in...as you can see blogs are pretty neat!