Monday, March 06, 2006

Branch Series " Sticks and Stones"








Back in the end of January I completed this series of small paintings....The Fifth and largest (16x20) piece can be viewed on page three of my Online Gallery. They are a fine example of the 'Direct' and 'Alla Prima' style of oil painting that now dominates my artwork. I still enjoy the thin glazing technique that carried over from my years of painting with acrylics. But now I find that with the confidence to be able to paint directly with oil there is a new life to my artwork. Actually it is my goal to combine the two styles. The painting "Alla Prima Cheese Curls" on page one my website is the first piece in which I've successfully combined both thin glazing with acrylic and alla prima with oil.
As for the sticks...well I love the teal color of the lichens. These are all oak branches and twigs from my yard as well as the natural ironstone. I used to think of them as a nusciance ( the yard fills with them weekly ). It's nice to turn something bothersome into something of lasting beauty. Sizes on these four pictures range from 5x7 to 8x10 ...all oil on canvas. Price range- 50.00 to 75.00 dollars each.

No comments: