Monday, January 07, 2008

Growing Pains

Painting #1


..........................................Painting #2




These are two 9x12 views of Patcong Creek with the Bargaintown Dam in the background. On number one I was pretty bummed when I saw the painting after I got home. Spent two hours perched on rocks to get that view, but the painting was all wrong..the values were off, the composition was a little stiff ...even the colors were funky. I posted a picture of it at the plein air forum on Wet Canvas where I recieved lots of good advice. A few days later I returned to try again..the view was quite different with a lower tide and a clearer sky. I was armed with knowledge, good paints and a delightfully warm afternoon. Needless to say I'm much happier with number two. If I had wiped off number one I never would have learned what I needed to know so it was well worth that two hours after all. I can't wait to paint this view when the grasses are green.

No comments: